Sri Lanka Cricket Presses On With Pakistan Tour After Islamabad Bombing

Posted By Larsen Beaumont    On 27 Nov 2025    Comments (0)

Sri Lanka Cricket Presses On With Pakistan Tour After Islamabad Bombing

When the bomb detonated outside the Islamabad High Court on Tuesday, November 11, 2025, killing 12 and injuring 27, the world held its breath—would cricket, once again, become a casualty of violence in Pakistan? By Wednesday evening, Sri Lanka Cricket had answered: yes, the tour continues. Despite the horror unfolding just 17 kilometers from the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium, where the second ODI was set for Thursday, SLC made it clear: no one is going home. Not yet. Not unless they’re willing to face consequences.

"No Player Is Returning Home"

The message from SLC was blunt, almost military in tone. "No player is returning home," said the team manager, speaking to Geo News. And yet, the world heard conflicting reports. NDTV claimed at least eight team members were preparing to leave. CricketAddictor said 16 had already quit. The truth? SLC didn’t deny players wanted out—they just said those who did would be assessed, and replaced. No mass withdrawal. No cancellation. Just discipline, delayed.

The board’s warning was clear: defy the directive, and you’ll face a formal review after the tour. That’s not just about contracts—it’s about legacy. In cricketing nations like Sri Lanka, where national pride runs deep, walking away can feel like betrayal. But in the shadow of a suicide bombing, is staying brave—or reckless?

Security Assurances From the Top

The man behind those assurances? Mohsin Naqvi, the powerful chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board—and, crucially, Pakistan’s Interior Minister. He met the Sri Lankan squad personally after their 6-run win in the first ODI on Monday, November 10. "Full-proof security," he promised. And he meant it. His dual role meant he could mobilize police, intelligence, and military assets overnight.

By Wednesday, PCB officials told Dawn that convoy routes had been rerouted, stadium perimeters tightened, and VIP access points triple-checked. The same team that had been airlifted out of Lahore in 2009 after a militant attack on their bus was now being escorted through the same country—this time, with armored vehicles, drone surveillance, and plainclothes operatives in every crowd.

The Ghost of Lahore 2009

It’s impossible to talk about cricket in Pakistan without remembering March 3, 2009. That day, gunmen ambushed the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore, killing six police officers and wounding seven players. The attack didn’t just scar a team—it froze international cricket in Pakistan for a decade. No tours. No crowds. No glory. Just silence.

Now, 16 years later, the same fear flickered in the eyes of Sri Lankan players. "Grim memories," NDTV called them. And yet, this time, the response was different. Back then, the world turned away. This time, SLC chose to stay. Why? Because Pakistan has rebuilt its cricketing infrastructure. Because the PCB has spent millions on security. And because, for the first time since 2009, the country is hosting not just one team—but a tri-series with Zimbabwe, too.

Who’s Really in Control?

Who’s Really in Control?

Here’s the twist: SLC didn’t make this decision alone. They consulted with Pakistan’s Interior Ministry, their own security advisors, and even players’ families. But the final call came from Colombo, not Islamabad. And that’s what makes this so unusual. In 2009, the Sri Lankan team left because their government told them to. This time, they stayed because their board believed the risk was manageable.

It’s also telling that SLC didn’t cancel the tour outright. They didn’t wait for an investigation. They didn’t demand international guarantees. They trusted the PCB’s word—and their own security assessments. That’s a huge shift in power dynamics. Pakistan isn’t begging for tours anymore. It’s earning them.

What Happens Next?

The second ODI went ahead on Thursday, November 12, as scheduled. No protests. No walkouts. Just the sound of bats on balls, and a crowd that, despite everything, showed up. The third match is set for Friday. Then Zimbabwe arrives. If the tour survives, it won’t just be a sporting success—it’ll be a political one. It signals that, for the first time in 16 years, cricket’s global community sees Pakistan as more than a danger zone.

But the real test comes after. Will other teams follow? Will Australia, England, or India agree to tour? That depends on what happens next week. If another incident occurs, the progress could vanish overnight. But if the matches proceed without incident, this could be the moment Pakistan’s cricketing revival truly began.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why didn’t Sri Lanka Cricket cancel the tour after the bombing?

SLC weighed the security briefings from Pakistan’s Interior Ministry, the PCB’s revised protocols, and input from players’ families. They concluded the risk was localized and manageable—not a systemic threat. Canceling would have damaged Pakistan’s fragile cricket revival and set a precedent that terrorism could halt international sport.

How many Sri Lankan players actually left the tour?

Officially, SLC confirmed no mass departure. While media outlets reported between eight and 16 players wanted to leave, only individual requests were processed. Replacements were dispatched for those who formally withdrew, with no team-wide exodus. The core squad remained, and the second ODI proceeded with a full Sri Lankan lineup.

What security changes did the PCB implement after the bombing?

The PCB upgraded convoy security with armored vehicles and armed escorts, increased drone surveillance around team hotels and stadiums, and restricted public access near VIP zones. Plainclothes operatives were embedded in crowds, and all travel routes between Islamabad and Rawalpindi were pre-cleared by intelligence units—measures not seen since before the 2009 attack.

What’s the historical significance of this tour?

This is the first time since the 2009 Lahore bus attack that a team has continued a tour in Pakistan after a major terrorist incident. It breaks a 16-year pattern of cancellations and signals global cricket’s renewed confidence in Pakistan’s security. If completed, it could pave the way for tours by England, Australia, and India—teams that haven’t played in Pakistan since 2009.

What consequences could players face for wanting to leave?

SLC stated that any player who defied official directives would face a disciplinary review after the tour. Penalties could include fines, suspension from future tours, or loss of central contracts. The board emphasized that personal safety concerns would be reviewed individually—but the message was clear: the team’s integrity comes before individual fear.

Will this tour lead to more international matches in Pakistan?

Yes—if the remaining matches proceed without incident. The PCB has already signaled interest in hosting a full series against England in 2026. The fact that Sri Lanka, a team with direct trauma from Pakistan’s past, chose to stay, sends a powerful signal to other boards. Cricket’s global leaders are watching closely: this tour could be the turning point for Pakistan’s return to the international stage.